.

Tea light causes Blackpool house blaze

Fire crews have tackled a serious blaze involving the bathroom of a terrace property on Milbourne Street in Blackpool.

The fire was caused by a tea light candle left burning on the side of the bath.

Neighbours alerted emergency services at around 9:50pm last night (19.3.17), after hearing the smoke detector and smelling smoke. The occupier arrived back at the house at the same time as the fire service arrived and unlocked the property.

Crews were faced by a heavily smoked logged property caused by the burning fibreglass bath.

2 Breathing apparatus and a hose reel were used to extinguish the fire and a ventilation fan was used to clear away the toxic smoke. The fire service were on scene for about an hour. The occupiers are finding alternative accommodation due to the severity of the fire.

Tea light candles can reach extremely high temperatures - the foil container becomes extremely hot - so if they are placed directly onto a plastic surface like the edge of a bath, the tea light will burn through the plastic very quickly, causing a fire. 

Lancashire Fire and Rescue released this statement:

"We realise that tea lights have become increasingly popular in recent years to create a relaxing or romantic atmosphere in the home. However, many people are still unaware of the dangers that candles and tea lights can present. The flame from a candle can quickly ignite a nearby curtain or clothing if it's placed too close, or gets knocked over. Candles that are forgotten and left unattended can also cause fires if not placed in proper candleholders. Because tea lights come with a flat metal base many people think it is safe to place them directly onto any surface without a candleholder or a heat resistant saucer.

More from Local