Cockroaches shock at Blackpool takeaway

The cockroaches gathered at Popeyes Takeaway

Cockroaches scattered in a frenzy after council food hygiene staff sprayed areas of a Blackpool takeaway.

As a result magistrates today granted an emergency closure order on Popeyes on the  resort’s Church Street.
It was successfully applied for by Blackpool Council who were alerted to the infestation by an e mail from a member of the public who was worried about the state of the premises run by  Marco Shoja who lives on Heyhouses Lane, St Annes.
Popeyes must remain closed until the council is satisfied the cockroaches which  are a risk to human health are obliterated by  pest control experts.
Lynda Bennett who made the application for the authority said that it was was alerted to the problem on Monday this week .
She  said:” Despite the  infestation the premises were open and  food was being served to the public.”
The court heard that cockroaches were living in the fridge areas,the pizza preparation area and the servery area.
Food control safety officer Lindsay Milner told the hearing  that she felt  the owner of the premises who did not attend court feared that any closure would result in his loss of earnings.
She produced two glass bottles containing adult and baby cockroaches  the  council had removed from Popeyes.
She said:”When we visited the premises and asked him about cockroaches he looked puzzled and said he may have seen one a  month ago.”
“But when we pulled out a fridge and sprayed the motor area cockroaches scattered in a frenzy.”
“There were dirty greasy areas which are perfect for cockroaches to feast on.”
“Then they walk all over food and packaging.”
“They are a imminent risk to human health and can spread  e coli and salmonella.”

More from Local

Cover art for We Are Young

On Air

Max Mallen playing Fun / Janelle Monae - We Are Young